” I work in a pharmaceutical industry, and have recently noticed workers wearing boots with safety features I haven’t seen before. What trends in footwear safety could benefit me & co-workers in my line of work ? ”
Responding to above query from a pharmaceutical industry safety officer.
Safety Footwear Industry has evolved with changing times. From the initial days of “sabots – a kind of simple shoe, shaped and hollowed out from a single block of wood, traditionally worn by French and Briton peasants.”
Today’s work boots offer safety features that weren’t considered decades ago and better protect against the most common injuries, including those experienced in the pharmaceutical industry, from falling or rolling objects to electrical hazards.
Our recommendation for any safety worker who spends time in an environment where their are risks, to look for boots that meet EN ISO 20345 Std or IS 15298 STD tough standards that protect against the hardest working conditions.
Metatarsal injuries are painful and can require a long recovery process, in worst cases it can permanently disable your worker . Steel toe boots don’t provide protection to the crucial metatarsals bone, A decade ago protection for this against falling or rolling objects wasn’t available but now we recommend choosing a boot that addresses this safety measures required for area of the foot. A shield-like feature that overlays the composite toe and runs to the top of the instep. This provides protection that absorbs impact.
Composite safety toe
Although most boots with a composite safety toe provide security, only select makes / brands meet or provide 200J impact Strength. Remember not to choose a safety footwear on just weight parameters. You might end up compromising on they very reason why you choose to wear safety footwear instead of normal footwear. Market is being flooded with light weight safety shoes in which toecaps fail to provide adequate protection levels.
Electrical hazard & Static Hazard compliance
There’s always the chance of exposure to electrical currents in any type of industry work, so look for boots that meet the required Electrical Hazard Standards to provide additional layer of protection in case of exposure to accidental open electrical currents up to 15,000 volts.
Also In Pharmaceutical environment adequate precaution must be taken for Static Hazards. To address same, a daily monitioring system must be developed to check antistatic property for safety shoes. Remeber, Antistatic property of any safety footwear tends to reduce over the lifetime of safety shoes.
Although many new safety features focus on the construction of the inner work boot, the outsole shouldn’t be ignored. A good outsole can provide excellent resistance to heat, chemicals, oil, gas, chips, marking and slipping. When faced with extreme temperatures or unsafe, slippery surfaces, a sturdy outsole that offers gripping features can be a lifesaver.
In addition to offering protection in the workplace, We recommend considering technologically advanced products that provide comfort and convenience for long, grueling workdays, which can include:
- Flexible, cushioned insoles for ultimate comfort
- Dual-Density Durable PU Outsole for stabilization, while still allowing freedom of movement
- Light Weight Safety Shoe does not guarantee better comfort & performance, in-fact if you analyse material of same type & thickness but substantial difference in weight signals, compromise on density of sole resulting in reduced performance of footwear.
Lastly, when ever you chnange brand always do a fit check. A proper-fitting boot can benefit you as much as some of these protective features.
Take Care of Your Safety Footwear
NO Safety Footwear program is complete, if their is NO Proper Maintenance Program.
Based on Decade long study & experience in the field, We at Workmate feel their is absolute and critical requirement for Safety Footwear Maintenance Program & development of organization wide culture to ensure optimum utilization & transformational benefits to the organization & its workforce. A Quality Safety Footwear Maintenance Program results in
- Reduced Costs & Optimum Utilization of Organization Spendings.
- Reduced Leather Consumption. Owing to enhancement of life of safety footwear.
- Reduced Carbon Emissions, owing to Reduce, Reuse Process.
- With advancement of technology, a quality industrial footwear can lasts up to 3-5 years. but owing to false notion and wrong practices safety footwear program is now a recurring costs for every year.
- If Properly Maintained & care is taken, safety footwear for at-least 60% of employee’s can easily last for more than 2-3 years.
- Safety Team has to develop, communicate, appreciate & implement a organization wide program to develop a culture for safety footwear maintenance.